Julia Malott says she’s angry it took 19 hours, including waiting in emergency rooms at two hospitals in Kitchener, Ont. – to seek treatment for his teenage daughter Angelina, who was suffering from appendicitis.
“I think any parent would understand that feeling of wanting to make something better for your child and not being able to do it,” Malott told CBC News.
“It seemed so backwards because the resources were there, but we couldn’t reach them. We couldn’t do what needed to be done.”
Around 10 p.m. ET on Sunday, Angelina couldn’t shake the stomach pains that started earlier in the day.
The mother and daughter went to the emergency department at St. Mary’s General, but it took 12 hours to receive a diagnosis confirming appendicitis, Angelina’s mother said.
They were told there were no surgical beds available at St. Mary’s, so doctors sent Angelina to Grand River Hospital, where they waited more than four hours before the teen underwent an emergency appendectomy – 19 hours after arriving at the hospital.
“It’s crazy that a system designed to care for Ontarians can’t even provide a mattress, can’t even provide a room with dim lights so that people who are sick, people who are trying to get well, can just rest “you,” Malott said.
Long hospital wait times have recently been reported in the region. Last month a man was waiting 11 a.m. to be seen at Cambridge Memorial Hospital.
Health Minister says ‘this is not a new problem’
Following the incident, Malott took to social media platform X, formerly Twitter, and posted “Health care in Ontario is broken and we’ve known it for a long time. »
In the post, which quickly went viral — with more than 900,000 views and counting — she described her daughter’s story.
Tuesday during a press conference at St. Mary General Hospital regarding an unrelated announcementOntario Health Minister Sylvia Jones was asked about the case.
Jones responded that the province has “increased the number of residency spaces in every medical school in Ontario… A minimum of 20, and in larger medical schools, 50, additional residencies.”
“I have to say that this is not a new problem that we have had in the province of Ontario and we had a previous government that actually eliminated residency places in 2019. If we had these residency places residence today, we would have two more. three hundred practicing doctors in the province of Ontario.
Malott wasn’t entirely satisfied with Jones’ response and said she was “pointing the finger at previous administrations for the fault of where our system is, and I don’t think for most Ontarians, there is a lot of interest in knowing who is to blame. ”
Please share it widely! I couldn’t be more terrified about the health care crisis in our country and @ONThealth can do better!
Health care in Ontario is broken and we have known it for a long time. It’s been like this my whole life and I’m not really young.
This is my daughter’s IV line, which… pic.twitter.com/oRvmiRYGcM
Jones expressed a willingness to speak to Malott about the incident – which was welcomed by the concerned mother, saying she “looks forward to (their) future conversation.”
“For us, we want to see positive change,” Malott said. “We want to see the system improve. For us, it’s not about politics. It’s just about how we built a better Ontario.”
CBC News reached out to St. Mary’s General Hospital but did not receive a response at the time of publication.
A Grand River Hospital spokesperson said he was unable to comment, citing “patient confidentiality rules.”