Kataib Hezbollah announces cessation of attacks against American forces | News

An Iraq-based group seeks to de-escalate the situation as Washington mulls a response to the deadly strike in Jordan.

Iran-backed Kataib Hezbollah announced the suspension of its hostile operations against US troops, as Washington considers its response to a deadly drone attack which left three of its soldiers dead.

The group’s attempt to de-escalate Tuesday evening, motivated, he said, by a desire not to “embarrass” the Iraqi government, aroused some skepticism in the United States. The Pentagon says there have been three other attacks since the attack in Jordan on January 28.

However, the White House has indicated that it is considering a “multi-level response» to Sunday’s attack.

Speaking in Washington yesterday, Biden linked the attacks to Iran.

“I hold them responsible in the sense that they provide the weapons to the people who committed them,” he said.

However, he made it clear that he did not want “a wider war” in the region.

However, Al Jazeera correspondent Patty Culhane, reporting from Washington, said Republican hawks were calling for strikes inside Iran.

“For months, this administration has been saying that its biggest concern is that this will lead to a broader war, and it seems pretty clear that striking inside Iran would make that situation more likely rather than less likely,” he said. she declared.

Powerful element

Kataib Hezbollah is the most powerful element of a group called the Islamic Resistance in Iraq, which has claimed more than 150 attacks against U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria since October 7.

The United States has so far responded to this campaign by carrying out airstrikes and imposing sanctions against Iranian-backed groups in Iraq, particularly Kataib Hezbollah.

In his statement Tuesday, Kataib Hezbollah Secretary General Abu Hussein al-Hamidawi noted that many of its allies, particularly Iran, “often oppose pressure and escalation against the forces of American occupation in Iraq and Syria.

Al Jazeera’s Mahmoud Abdelwahed said the statement was intended to “ease or reduce the burden, the pressure that the Iraqi government has been facing since… the start of these attacks.”

The Iraqi government, he explained, is engaged in negotiations with U.S. military officials to find mechanisms to ensure the withdrawal of U.S. and coalition troops from the country.

The hawks are putting pressure

Faced with Biden’s caution about the US response to the attack in Jordan, hawkish members of the Republican Party have shifted gears by calling for more direct military action against Iran.

Sen. Lindsey Graham called on the Biden administration to “strike key targets in Iran, not only in retaliation for the deaths of our forces, but also as a deterrent against future aggression.”

Roger Wicker, the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, called for “direct strikes against Iranian targets and their leaders.”

Scroll to Top