Israeli troops carry out deadly raid on West Bank hospital

[ad_1]

Israel said undercover commandos killed three Palestinian militants in a raid on a hospital in the occupied West Bank on Tuesday, a further sign that Israel’s war against Hamas in Gaza is expanding to other fronts.

In the northern Gaza Strip, Israeli forces have fought battles with Hamas fighters that have forced more Palestinian residents to flee to safer areas, and southern parts of the coastal enclave have been hit by attacks. Israeli airstrikes.

CCTV footage of the raid at a West Bank hospital appeared to show a dozen soldiers, including three in women’s clothing and two dressed as Palestinian medical staff, walking down a corridor with rifles.

Hamas said one of the victims at Ibn Sina Hospital in the city of Jenin was a member of the militant Islamist group. The allied Islamic Jihad faction said the other two killed were brothers and members of the faction. Ibn Sina said one of the brothers was receiving treatment for a wound that paralyzed his legs.

A man in dark hospital scrubs stands over a hospital bed with a bloodstained pillow.
A staff member at Ibn Sina Hospital shows a bloodstained pillow following a deadly Israeli military raid in the West Bank city of Jenin on Tuesday. Secret Israeli armed forces, disguised as women and medical personnel, stormed the hospital on Tuesday, killing three Palestinian activists. (Majdi Mohammed/Associated Press)

The Israeli military said this showed militants were using civilian areas and hospitals as shelters and “human shields”. Hamas has already denied these allegations.

The Israeli military also said one of those killed had a pistol.

While the West Bank – a region the Palestinians envision as part of a hoped-for independent state – had seen an increase in violence even before the outbreak of the Gaza war, the raid on hospitals could fuel a phase of more unrest. intense.

The Israeli military identified one of the slain men as Mohammed Jalamneh, 27, of Jenin, who it said had contacts with Hamas headquarters abroad and was planning an attack inspired by the Hamas rampage. Hamas in southern Israel on October 7.

Ceasefire negotiations are underway

Palestinian officials say 26,422 people were killed in the Israeli military response to attacks carried out by Hamas on October 7.

About 1,200 people were killed in the Hamas-led attacks, including several Canadians. Israeli officials said another 253 people had been taken hostage and about 130 of them had not yet returned home.

WATCH l Some Israelis believe the situation opens the door to Jewish settlements in Gaza:

Israeli ministers attend controversial meeting on Gaza resettlement

Several senior Israeli officials were among thousands to attend a conference calling on Israel to reclaim Gaza for Jewish settlements, including National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir who delivered the opening speech. The rally drew condemnation from around the world and from many Israelis.

Since then, some 26,637 Palestinians have been killed and at least 65,000 injured by Israeli military strikes, according to Gaza’s health ministry, with the death toll rising by the day.

Israel says its forces have killed around 9,000 Palestinian fighters in Gaza and that 221 of its soldiers have been killed in the fighting.

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh said Tuesday that the group would study a proposed agreement to suspend fighting, adding that he would travel to Cairo to discuss the plan. A week-long pause came into effect at the end of November, with the exchange of dozens of Israeli hostages and Palestinian detainees.

Haniyeh said the group’s priority was to end the Israeli military offensive and the complete withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.

The war has created a humanitarian crisis, with large areas of Gaza razed, hundreds of thousands of people left destitute and supplies of food, water and medicine almost exhausted.

Israel has launched a new offensive in northern Gaza after reporting successes against Palestinian militants. The presence of the militants in the region suggests that the Israeli campaign to eradicate Hamas will not go as planned.

Helmeted soldiers are seen from behind walking next to a tank-like vehicle.  On the horizon, black smoke is visible.
Israeli soldiers are operating in the Gaza Strip, a photo distributed by the IDF on Sunday shows. (Israel Defense Forces/Reuters)

Hamas appears to have managed to regroup in Gaza City as the war, now in its fourth month, shows no signs of slowing despite international concern over the plight of civilians.

Much of Tuesday’s action in Gaza focused on the Beach refugee camp and nearby Al-Shifa Hospital, residents said. Israeli tanks burst into a shelter site and soldiers rounded up dozens of men.

Gaza residents flee

Residents and health officials also said an Israeli tank opened fire on dozens of Palestinians near Al-Kuwaiti Square on the southern edge of Gaza City, where aid trucks were unloading their cargo. , killing two people and injuring others.

The fighting has caused new waves of people to flee into Gaza City and south towards Deir Al-Balah in the center. Those leaving had to pass Israeli tanks parked on the coastal road.

Heavy bombing also affected the western and southern suburbs of Gaza.

To the south, Israeli forces maintained pressure on the town of Khan Younis, maintaining their encirclement of the two main hospitals.

The Gaza Health Ministry and the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said patients, medical teams and many displaced people inside the two facilities were in danger due to continued Israeli fire.

Palestinian health officials said at least 10 Palestinians were killed in two separate Israeli airstrikes in Khan Younis and Deir Al-Balah. They said the number could be even higher as rescuers searched for victims who might be trapped under the rubble.

Source link

Scroll to Top