Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford will sign an agreement Friday detailing how the province should spend billions of additional federal dollars earmarked for health care.
Even though Ontario and the federal government have reached an agreement agreement in principle the same month, the two sides have since ironed out the details.
The deal to be signed Friday covers $3.1 billion from Ottawa, a provincial source told CBC News.
Trudeau and Ford are scheduled to hold a news conference in King City, north of Toronto, at 10:30 a.m. ET. You can watch it live in this story.
As part of the agreement, the source said the provincial government must create new primary health care teams, open 700 additional places in medical training programs and improve health system data monitoring and reporting .
Agreement comes as Ontario’s health system faces serious challenges lack of staffwhile a record number of patients do not have access to Family doctor and the ripple effects create long wait times at hospital emergency rooms.
Last week, Ontario Health Minister Sylvia Jones announcement $110 million in funding to add 400 health professionals to 78 new or expanded primary care teams across the province. The source said new federal funding for primary health care teams adds to this announcement.
The source said the new deal also includes federal funding to support the the province’s plan to give health professionals who are licensed elsewhere in Canada, the automatic right to practice in Ontario.